National Institute of Technology Raipur (Formerly Government Engineering College Raipur), situated in the capital of a newly incepted state of Chhattisgarh, has proven to be "avant-grade' in the field of science and technology over past few decades in this region. With sweet memory of foundation ceremony by our president Hon'ble Dr. Rajendra Prasad on 14th September 1956. the institute started with two departments namely Metallurgical and Mining Engineering. Later the inauguration of the Institute building was done by our Prime Minister Hon'ble Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru on 14th March 1963. From 1st December 2005, the institute has become the National Institute of Technology.
The Institute is contributing to the technological, industrial and economical development of the region and the country for last five decades. The Institute has long recognized its role in engineering education, generation and dissemination of useful and relevant technologies in the service of the society.